Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Raul Julia's Ferrari Daytona Spyder from The Gumball Rally...

The Gumball Rally was one of the earliest cross-country themed race movies. In the 1976 comedy, Raul Julia, drove this 1972 Ferrari as 'Franco Bertollini', an Italian Grand Prix champion and incurable romantic.
1972 Ferrari 'Daytona' Spyder from The Gumball Rally movie
Raul Julia's Ferrari Daytona Spyder Gumball Rally movie car
Gumball Rally Ferrari Spyder
One of only 120 built the Ferrari 365gts/4 'Daytona' Spyder was the ideal choice for the actor playing an international playboy during the 1970's.
Ferrari driven by Raul Julia in The Gumball Rally
1972 Ferrari Daytona Spyder movie car
Gumball Rally Ferrari Daytona Spyder
Portraying a reckless Italian, Raul Julia plucked the rear-view mirror from the windshield in the film because "what's behind...is not important".
The Gumball Rally movie poster
The Gumball Rally movie poster
1972 Ferrari 365GTS/4 'Daytona' Spyder
1The Gumball Rally Ferrari Daytona Spyder movie car
The Ferrari was photographed at The Petersen Automotive Museum in L.A. on July 28, 2009.

3 comments:

  1. Does anybody know where the 'gumball machine' trophy is from the Gumball Rally movie?

    Or any of the other movie props, i.e. patch identified jackets?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a matter of fact I have the trophy from the movie my father was Chuck Bail the director of the Gumball Rally.

      Delete
    2. I love that movie. I first saw it shortly after it came out, probably when it first aired on TV. I even bought a gumball machine that is as close as I can get to the trophy from the movie! In fact, I finally completed my first Cannonball (solo) in April of 2021. Great memories. I'd love to see a photo of the trophy up close!

      Delete